There are 17 large, and one medium scale industries in the district, of which, two are Central Government undertakings.
- Indian Rare Earths, Chavara
- Parvathi Mills Ltd., Kollam.
- Kerala Ceramics Ltd., Kundara,
- Travancore Plywood Industries, Punalur,
- Kerala Electrical and Allied Engineering Company, Kundara,
- Kerala Premo Pipe factory Chavara,
- Kerala Minerals and Metals Limited, Chavara,
- United Electrical Industries Kollam
- Kerala Agro-Fruit Products, Punalur
are Kerala Government owned companies.
Other major industries in private / cooperative sector are
- Aluminium Industries Ltd., Kundara,
- Thomas Stephen & Co., Kollam, Floorco Paravur,
- Cooperative Spinning Mill, Chathannur and
- Punalur Paper Mills, Punalur.
About 1963 SSI units have been registered in the district.
CASHEW, COIR, CLAY, WOOD, HANDLOOM
Cashew processing and coir production are also major industrial vocations of the district. Hand loom industry, clay and wood based industries also contribute to the industrial advancement of the region. Cashew processing is a major industrial activity in the district. The Kerala State Cashew Development Corporation (KSCDC) is the largest processor of cashew nut in the world. At present, it has 34 factories. K.S.C.D.C. provides employment to more than 26,000 workers.